About Me

My photo
I am an early thirty something who rules the classroom by day, voracious reader, baker and crafter by night (or any other spare time that I can find). I have been married to my husband Nick for almost four years and we enjoy spoiling our fur child-Rufus.
Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Honoring a wonderful man

It is unbelievable to me to be writing a post that honors and remembers my grandfather's life.  A man I have loved and admired is no longer here.  Although I knew my grandfather had been having health problems recently it is still hard to say goodbye. 

I am the oldest grandchild of the five on my mom's side and I was adored and spoiled by love from the moment I arrived.  Both my grandmother and grandfather loved having me around and I would spend half a summer for many years as a kid with them.  They would take me to their jobs (an antique store and a dressmaker) which I thought was so grown up, signed me up for camp at the local rec center, took me to visit family, allowed me to rent the same two movies OVER and OVER from the store up the street, took lots of walks to Carvel for icecream and much more!  Summers in Long Island, New York were full fun and adventure and I loved all the time I spent with my grandparents.  Halfway through my time there my grandpa would drive me to the Seven Stars Diner to be picked up by my dad's mom who would would keep me for a few weeks.  I was one lucky kid!  We would sit at the diner counter and enjoy a glass of oj and chat while we waited for my other grandma.  As I said, these were great summers. 

Since we didn't live in the same place as any family travel was necessary.  I am jealous of those who grew up with lots of family around.  As I got older I didn't spend summers there anymore, I still saw my grandparents, but we weren't as close.  I grew a lot closer to my other grandma, my dad's mom, because of how similar we were.  Flash forward a few years and my dad's mom passed away.  I was devastated, but it also made me realize how important it was that I soak up my mom's parents and not take them or their visits for granted. 

The summer of 2001, in between my sophmore and junior years of college my best frind and I went to work at a week day sleepaway camp ten minutes from my grandparents.  On the weekends the kids would go home, it's a sweet deal for the kids and counselors.  My grandparents would pick up my best friend and myself on Friday and return us Sunday night.  During the weekend we would eat ourselves silly, relax on the beach, float in the pool, shop, listen to fun family stories and just enjoy our summer.  They live across the street from a private beach and you wake up and see the ocean everyday!  This renewed my relationship with my grandparents and I was hooked!  My best friend and I went back together for a week for the next three summers and I squeezed in extra trips when I could. 

This is why it is extra hard to say goodbye to my amazing grandpa.  I feel like I have a lost a dear friend.  He was one of the finest men you could ever meet, he was honest, hard working, a wondeful husband and a loving grandfather.  He was remembered last Sunday in a small, private service and I had the honor of speaking about him.  Although he is not here, he will always be a part of our lives and he will never be forgotten.  I can't wait to have children one day and tell them all about their great grandpa.  Hopefully the stories and memories I share will have a special place in their heart like they do in mine. 

I know this post is long, but it's important to me.  There is much more I could say, but I will leave you with these picture from the last few years of visits.  I love you grandpa!

No comments:

Post a Comment