About Me

My photo
I am an early thirty something who rules the classroom by day, voracious reader, baker and crafter by night (or any other spare time that I can find). I have been married to my husband Nick for almost four years and we enjoy spoiling our fur child-Rufus.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Vintage Shopping (Alternative Title-The First Real Post With Pictures)


One of the goals for my time off of school was to hit up some places that I have never been.  So yesterday my mom and I headed to Deep Ellum (downtown Dallas area) to visit Lula B's. 


This is a vintage shop chock FULL of knick nacks, clothes, furniture, pictures and more.  Lots more!  I saw some really cool pieces and then I saw a lot to make you go, hmmmmmmm.  As soon as we walked in I spied this sign which I fell in love with.
If you can collect it this store had it.  Anyone need some dishes or perhaps a radio?

I stumbled upon a tiny booth (barely big enough for me to fit in) that had bins, buckets and boxes full of old black and white photos.  There must have been hundreds of pictures.  It was fascinating to flip through snapshots of people's lives.  I was trying to think of something I could do with these when my mom suggested cards.  Perfect!  Too bad she suggested it after we left the store.  Guess that means I will have to go back to the store, darn :)


I came home with this little guy.  I don't know how I grew so fond of roosters, but they have been slowly taking over my kitchen for the last seven years.  I am hoping since he's small and translucent maybe the hubs won't notice him ;) 


Since vintage browsing/shopping can work up an appetite we went to the Mad Hatter Cafe.  I had read good things, it was ok.  Not bad, but not what I hoped for.  They had a cute Alice in Wonderland theme going on and they had lots of vegetarian options so that was neat.


Since the day was still early we ventured into another funky area of Dallas, the Bishop Arts District.  One of my favorite places down there is a micro botique called Indie Genius.  It is in a warehouse and broken up in lots of different stalls with wares all made by local artists.  I have bought lots of gifts there before and I always admire the uniqueness of the things inside. 
All in all, the day was a success and we had a blast.  Now, I am off to continue checking things off the list!


No comments:

Post a Comment